$35 LAN Party...

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 5 15:36:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 08:47:23PM -0500, Anthony de Boer wrote:
>> Just get yourself any reasonable netbook and you've got all that in a
>> package you can flip open with far less hassle than plugging together
>> a bunch of components.  Juggling a Pi with all that just isn't viable.
>>
>> Granted, being able to go somewhere up north with a nice big flatscreen
>> and a Model M keyboard and be able to fit everything else you need to
>> do some coding in your back pocket could still be a Pi application.
>> But if you're hauling a pile of stuff then a bigger computer works too.
>>
>> The Pi shines mostly for being cheap and tiny and having GPIO pins.
>>
>> Note also that the latest Intel thing about them getting out of the
>> traditional desktop-board racket is not because desktops are dead, but
>> rather that the ATX form factor is a huge waste of real estate: Intel can
>> do all it wants to do for a high-end machine on a four-inch-square board
>> nowadays.  And that's only about double the size of a Pi.
>
> The memory and cpu sockets alone take more than that on a high end intel.
> 8 DDR3 slots and a 2011 pin cpu socket takes some space.  And of course
> any high end machine would want at least one PCIe x16 slot for a video
> card (since that is something intel certainly doesn't know how to do yet).
>
> But certainly 7 expansion slots are hadly ever needed except by those
> people that seem to think 3 or 4 video cards working together is required.

Well, there still are a range of people who want/need to do massive
amounts of IO (not just video out). Obviously there are other
examples, but the first one that come to my mind is extreme MythTV
people who want to be able to record from EVERYTHING (cable TV, OTA,
and satellite), For the extreme MythTV people 7 expansion slots could
be used up very quickly.