Linux compatability of a couple of laptops?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 4 14:58:40 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 01:05:02AM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote
> | From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>

> |  For potential replacements, I'm looking at
> |
> | 1) An ASUS machine (AMD)
> | http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_367&item_id=046492
>
> This is a netbook.  It would hope that you could find a less expensive
> one.  This isn't much better than an Acer Aspire One 522 that I bought
> a year or two ago for $229, new.

  When I say "netbook", I mean the crippled versions specified by MS and
Intel; e.g. stuff like a max of 2 gigs of ram.  My old netbook has an
"embedded" version Atom that does 32-bit only!  Even so, it could've
easily addressed 3 gigs of ram.  If you mean to say this is what
netbooks should have been like, then that's a different matter.

  I'll try to check a local shop where I bought my "Home Theatre" PC
from.  The websites I've found are pushing either clearout crippled
netbooks or highend ultrabooks, and nothing in between.