Does KDE really suck this much?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 27 14:48:38 UTC 2013

On 27/12/13 03:54 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>
>
> | Yakuake is indispensable in any desktop environent - it isn't a KDE
> | specific app, it works better than in Gnome or others.
>
> I'd never ehard of this before.  Or the Gnome equivalent, Guake.
>
> So I read a bit about them and don't see why I'd want them.
>
> It's true that switching to terminal windows is a bit awkward by default.
> But I'd really hate having only one.  In my world, I have lots, each with
> task-based lifetimes (not nested or any other simple relationship).
>
> Can you expain how it works for you?  We might learn something.

I use terminator & tmux extensively through the day for various tasks.
I'll have one pane open for work chat/mail, a few for remote
servers/poring over logs, and 3-5 others depending on what I'm doing.
Terminator supports custom layouts and you can invoke it with a
specified layout on startup.

For example: terminator -l four -p dark

This starts my four pane layout with the dark colour & font profile,
which I use on my laptop. Specifying config, layout, and profile lets
you mix and match as you choose depending on the task.

I use the same ~/.config/terminator/config on my laptop and desktop, so
depending on where I'm working, I can have 4 or 6 terminals open with
the same profile. Very handy IMO.

Which is all a long winded way of getting at Yakuake. For those one off
moments of just needing a quick terminal and don't want to mess with
desktop window tiling, arrangement, covering etc., they're brilliantly
handy.

Say you want to do a quick bit of math, fire up bc, or you want to run a
local program or what have you. The extra hidden terminal is unobtrusive
on my main desktop layout for those little one off tasks.

Hit F12 and a terminal is there, run whatever is needed, and another F12
and it's hidden again.

Give them a try. I have Yakauke setup to run on login via KDE's session
autorun preferences, so the thing is just there all the time.

Cheers, Jamon