home audio system

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 20 18:56:21 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 09:58:15AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 05:55:16PM -0500, William Park wrote:
> > - I got bitten by ARM fad and bought BeagleBone Black.  My cost for the
> >   board itself was $60.  Then, I was looking at microSD,
> >   microHDMI-to-HDMI cable, HDMI-to-DVI cable (my monitor is DVI), 5V
> >   regulated DC power block with 5.5mm/2.1mm barrel connector and with
> >   good transient response (surprisingly difficult to find).  All these
> >   add up to real money.
>
> And what kind of low end PC or laptop would you consider?  Some people

I was thinking, something like Zotac ZBOX-ID18-U $139 at
Canadacomputers.

> like small and low power consumption which the PC option won't be.
> Lots of people have USB chargers around already from various devices,
> so the power supply is probably not an issue for most people.  All my
> monitors have HDMI, so I would only need one cable, not two (and one
> cable and a $4 adapter would do the job too).  microSD is not expensive
> either, depending how big you insist it has to be.

Let's look at USB chargers.  Most USB chargers are for charging battery,
so they may say 5V rms, but their waveform is not what you want to use.
Now and then (more frequent than I would like), my board doesn't boot.
I suspected power, because USB chargers had more problems than AC
adapters.  As last resort, I used ATX power supply, and no problem at
all.  My point is I shouldn't have to cut and splice AC adapters, hunt
down oscilloscope, breath that toxic solder resin smoke, etc.  It should
just work.

--
William