file system reommendations for SSD...

Matt Price moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 20 16:13:52 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 4:33 AM, Marcelo Cavalcante
<kalibslack-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Welcome to Arch Linux!
>
> I would stay with ext4, but I really would prefer to have different
> partitions (/boot, /home, /, ..).

Actually I do have a question about /boot.  in the arch beginner's
guide it says,
----
In case you have a UEFI motherboard, mount the EFI System Partition at
your preferred mountpoint (/boot used for example):

# mkdir -p /mnt/boot
# mount /dev/sdXY /mnt/boot
-----

Does that mean that the EFI system partition and /boot are the same
thing on modern (GPT) disks?  This is my first gpt system so I've
never seen this before.

> It will improve your system and it will be easier for future
> troubleshooting, etc...
>
> You'll only need a big partition for /home. Just pick a litle space for the
> others. My / is using only 8Gb of 10gb. And this is a four years old
> installation.  You'll just need to remember that from times to times you'll
> need to clean your cache with "pacman -Sc", and you'll be fine.

hmm.  on my current (ubuntu) system, whih has a lot of stuff on it,
admittedly, my / is muh larger:

~$ df -h
Filesystem           Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5             37G   26G  9.0G  75% /
/dev/sda6            221G  216G  5.2G  98% /home
/home/matt/.Private  221G  216G  5.2G  98% /home/matt

and my home directory is huge (gotta fix that!).  so, I'm worried 10G
won't be enough, but I don't want to have any more unused space than I
have to...