Everything you need to know to install SteamOS on your very own computer | Ars Technica

John Myshrall jmyshrall-v+ARZjKqHIj3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 17 22:23:38 UTC 2013

On 13-12-17 04:57 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 04:59:19PM -0500, William Park wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 04:07:30PM -0500, Thomas Milne wrote:
>>> http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/12/everything-you-need-to-know-to-install-steamos-on-your-very-own-computer/
>> I was looking to download to USB stick and try it out.  But, official
>> Steam site says you need 1TB disk just for install.  Forget it.
> The article says 500GB, and claims it doesn't appear to use anywhere
> near that.
>
> It does not let you pick anything in the setup though and hence isn't
> currently dual boot friendly.
>
> I am vaguely tempted to give it a try on the desktop machine I haven't
> got around to reassembling for about a year now after I borrowed some
> parts.

My son's machine is dual booting with Windows 8. We've ran Win8 less
than a couple hours since so 99.99 % Linux. Steam is only on the Linux
side. It was a clean install on Windows and Linux using 2 drives. Still
it was a couple hours of my life I won't get back. Steam installs OK but
updates and Game installs take a while.

After a couple weeks it messed up (64 bit issue). I copied all his games
and Steam files over. Installed 32 bit, re-installed Steam it and
utilized the back up. That saved a lot of time.  Funny thing he just
asked me about running 64 bit and I told him if it breaks he'll have to
figure out how fix it. He decided against it. I think I know what book
I'll buy him for Christmas.

I doubt with your ability you'll have these issues.

John