"shared" method == poor man's "client bridge"

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 15 19:02:25 UTC 2013

Hi all,  just FYI...

If you want to connect devices to your ethernet port and use your
wireless card for network connection, then a cheap/easy solution is
"Shared" method on your Network Configuration page.  It is masquerading
10.42.0.* network, not bridge, but it's one click which automatically
configures routing table (route -n), network interface (ifconfig),
iptable (iptables -L -v), and dnsmasq DHCP on NetworkManager.

Background:
----------
Like most of you, I have
    - 1 ethernet on the motherboard (eth0) -- unused at the moment
    - 1 pci wireless card (wlan0) -- my connection to router and
      internet.

What I wanted to do is connect my laptop to eth0 and be on the same
network and get IP from the router, ie. "client bridge".  Now, I can
already do that with my Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware.  But, I'm
out of electrical outlets, and I really don't like those power block.

I was trying to bridge together eth0 and wlan0, but couldn't go past
    $ brctl addif br0 wlan0
    can't add wlan0 to bridge br0: Operation not supported
Then, I found
    Network Connection page | IPv4 Address tab | Method dropdown menu | Shared option
--
William