home audio system

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 12 00:29:39 UTC 2013

On 13-12-11 07:17 PM, Matt Price wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> every year or so I seem to start this project and not finish it, but I
> am hoping to pull this one off in time for Xmas.  I want to build a
> linux-powered home audio system, if possible organized around one or
> more rap-berry Pi/beaglebone/whatever low-power systems that I don't
> feel too bad about leaving on most of the time.
>
> I've been thinking about this a bit and as I see it,there are several
> parts to the system, and I'm not sure how many actual physical objects
> are required:
>
> (1) file server, that provides the actual audio files somehow
>
> (2) audio server, that turns them into some kind of an audio stream.
> should be able to handle mp3, m4a, ogg and flac, if poss. is probably
> the same object as (1), above
>
> (3) device that takes the audio stream and feeds it into 1 or more
> stereos (I think actually 2 minimum, one upstairs in bedroom, one
> downstairs in living room)
>
> (4) client device that controls what stream is being fed to the two
> stereos and optimally can also play a local stream.   (3), above,
> potentially may also be a case of (4), but ideally there are also
> clients that run on at least Linux and Android (iOS would be nice too
> but isn't necessary and anyway my wife should switch!).
>
> (5) I would prefer to use as much Free software as possible, but will
> compromise to make something that my family can use easily.  They
> enjoy XBMC, so I know it's possible to turn them from the Dark Side if
> the interface is good enough.
You need a server such as Mediatomb (open source) than runs on Linux,
and a client box that can act as a DLNA client. I use a Panasonic
Blu-ray disc player, Model DMP-BD89. You can also get a simpler box,
such as a Western Digital Streaming Media Player, that uses open source
code. They connect to your TV or Receiver.

You just need a network connection between the Linux box and the
streaming media player. Wi-fi should work fine.

-- Stephen