Women and TLUG - a personal rant

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 10 19:04:21 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Renata Rocha <natzilla-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I've never had any problems with your behaviour, Colin, but I'm glad
> you can do a self-assessment and apologize in public for mistakes you
> might have done in the past. That's the right thing to do.

Thanks...

> I dislike the idea of pointing at people and telling that they've done
> this or that, as this accomplishes nothing - people need to realize
> their own mistakes and how some attitudes affect negatively others. I
> strongly believe in educating over punishing.

The problem we have is at least one so-and-so who always seems happiest
when everyone around them (male or female) is ... at least somewhat ...
uncomfortable. In other words, education is NOT the issue here, we are
dealing with a different / larger issue here. In fact, telling some people
they are causing issues may make things worse as the person then knows they
are getting under the skin of their "target".

I'm a strong believer in consent and touching someone or making jokes
> of crude nature without consent should not be tolerated at all. It's
> *not funny* and when you ignore these attitudes two things are
> happening:
> - you're giving the person permission to keep doing it, as it were an
> acceptable thing to do
> - you're giving the rest of the group permission to do the same,
> because nobody said anything against it
>
> Then it escalates.
>
> So when a female joins the group and sees another being a victim of
> this, she expects to be treated the same way by the group, as it's
> only logical.
>
> And you all also know if a woman wanted to find a romantic partner,
> TLUG would be the last place to go for it - there are plenty of online
> services offering matchmaking these days.
>
> I believe TLUG should be treated as a workplace, and if you wouldn't
> say/do something to a woman at your workplace because of the
> harassment/sexual harassment rules, then think twice before doing it
> at TLUG.

I think the GTALug board needs to do two things, first a clear code of
conduct so there are no secrets regarding what will / will not be
tolerated. Second will be to have some sort of penalty (or penalties)
severe enough to make the violators of the code of conduct think twice or
in the most extreme cases cause them to go away for violations (the later
could be a challenge... :-( ).

Colin.