Linux, Sound/Video, Receiver, DLNA Server

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 5 00:48:16 UTC 2013

The "Curious" thread motivated me to report on my sound set-up that I am
very happy with.

I started using a PS3 for Blu-ray and also as a DLNA client, and it fed
to my home theatre receiver via HDMI. It was connected to my network,
and thereby my Linux box which serves up music and video. I sold the PS3
because it would not accept Flac music (transcoding required) and
coughed on some video formats. Open source program, Mediatomb is my DLNA
server.

I bought a Panasonic Blu-ray disc player, Model DMP-BD89 for about $90
to replace the PS3. It understands Flac so lossless sound is delivered
to my receiver. Never a problem with video. With the Panasonic online
menu I just scroll through my directory structure and select the folder
I want to play.
Easy to create a playlist just by putting the music files you want in a
special folder.

Now the sound chip in my computer tells me when an email arrives. And
the odd thing on YouTube.

I should add that the Panasonic box also connects to web services like
Netflick. Recommended!

--
Stephen