Curious

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 4 16:50:40 UTC 2013

| From: Dave Germiquet <davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| I have a question, does anyone know  a really cheap sound card solution
| that works with spdif-coxial for a Linux Laptop?

"solution"?  Sounds like marketing-talk :-)

Speaking of which, you might get some more interesting and useful
alternatives presenting us with the problem not the solution.

To be honest, I'm so out of it that I don't know where S/PDIF is used
vs. TOSLINK and why.  I think in that in terms of specs, it is a
tos-up.  But some worlds use one, and some the other.

| I'm guessing it has to be USB,  But for me if its not really cheap I can't
| get it.

Googling leads me to think that this kind of device would often be
targetted at audiophiles (i.e. expensive and pretty good).  But there
are some cheap-ish things of unknown quality such as
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-6-Channel-5-1-External-Optical-Audio-Sound-Card-S-PDIF-Laptop-Notebook-PC-/380665750296>
<http://dx.com/p/c-media-cm106-usb-2-0-external-sound-card-box-with-7-1-speaker-spdif-optical-output-15746?tc=CAD&gclid=CNa4_LKCl7sCFcxAMgodSR4Aaw>