Thinkpad T440s: do I want a m.2 msata ssd?

Matt Price moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 2 18:00:47 UTC 2013

I have just bought a new lenovo thinkpad t440s, and am expecting it in
a couple of weeks.  I'm feeling a little bored/frustrated with ubuntu
(I guess mostly irritated over this Mir thing) and I think I will
install Arch and maybe KDE just to see what they're like (I mostly use
emacs, web browsers, and thunderbird, so my DE isn't really all that
important for me, though I do like a decent desktop search).

When configuring this beast i declined to buy the 16G M.2 msata drive
that lenovo offers a an add-on, thinking I could just install one
later and likely for a lot less.

That turns out to be true, and e.g. this 42mm device from amazon is
quite a bit larger than what they offered
(http://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-Super-Cache-Solid-State/dp/B00EZ2E8NO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386005926&sr=8-1&keywords=m.2+ssd)

Here are a couple of questions:

1.  I was thinking I would put the OS on the mSATA and keep the main
256G SATA disk for /home.  Does this sound sensible?

2.  The original 16G mSATA is used "for caching purposes only"
according to the tech specs.  What exactly does this mean?  Is this
something we can use under Linux?  And is there any reason to believe
one would or would not be able to boot from one of these drives?

thanks as always!

Matt