Java multi CPU capabilities

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 29 04:07:28 UTC 2013

I don't use Java.  Ted doesn't use Java.  I think Lennart must have
used Java but has been trying to expunge the memory ever since.

So what we say is unreliable in that sense.  But we each know a bunch
of things about coumputer systems in general.

| From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| > What do you mean by "natively"?
| >
| Apparently Java has two types of switches, the green and native switch. The
| native can only use one kernel thread which essentially mean one CPU.

I don't know why switches would be green or native.  I hope that this
is an irrelevant detail.

| Totally see why I sound lost. I possibly don't what I am taking about but I
| have checked cacti graphs at work and all seem to max up on one CPU.

What do you mean by a cacti graph?  A pretty presentation of
performance monitoring? <http://www.cacti.net/>

| Google a bit and you will see a lot of people having that problem.  Java
| can use multiple CPU together for garbage collection but the application
| side, its only one CPU as far as I can tell

What's "that problem"?  Wack of exploitation of more than one core?

As I google, I find more evidence of Java concurrency exploiting
"multicore".  See
<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/concurrency/highlevel.html>

| From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| But how do you achieve that if your application is restricted without a
| container that is only single kernel threaded?

What do you mean by "container"?  That has several quite different
meanings in the Java world.

As it is, I cannot understand your question.