Java multi CPU capabilities

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 28 14:50:49 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 09:48:02PM -0400, William Muriithi wrote:
> Just curious if anyone here has ever looked at getting Java to run on more
> than one CPU.
>
> I have looked around and concluded that's not possible natively.  Posting
> more or less for confirmation. Would I have missed anything?
>
> Found it an odd problem for a application to have at this time, really its
> 2013
>
> http://www.datadisk.co.uk/html_docs/java_app/jboss5/jboss5_tuning.htm
>
> Came across this and petty the best article I have seen about Java.
>
> Good evening.

java is NOT the application.  It is the language and runtime for the
application.  If an application wants to use multiple CPUs, then the
author of the application should write a threaded application.

There is certainly research into making runtimes and languages that
can automatically make some parts of the code run in parallel, but that
isn't something you are likely to see in current production systems.

So if your application written in java creates multiple threads, then
it will use multiple CPUs just fine.

--
Len Sorensen