forcing lower refresh rate?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 24 16:09:03 UTC 2013

The Seiki monitor with "4k" resolution is inexpensive.  But it can
only refresh a full resolution signal at 30Hz.

I want to see whether a 30Hz desktop is OK.  So I'd like to try 30Hz
with a current monitor.

The Xorg.0.log says "Ranges: V min: 56 V max: 76 Hz, H min: 30 H max:
81 kHz, PixClock max 175 MHz".  This is from the monitors EDID data.
But it can take an analog TV signal, surely at 60i and maybe 30p.
I don't want to use analog for this test: too yucky resolution (even
VGA isn't as clean as DVI).

Is there a way to force X to ignore EDID data on DVI?  Would 30Hz DVI
likely work with the monitor?

Oh: is 30Hz unpleasant for desktop use?  The Seiki screen itself
refresses at 60 or 120Hz, but the image can only be changed at 30Hz.
I assume that 60i might be possible but not be better for the viewer
than 30p.