C integral types [was Re: Semi-OT: Why Kids Can't use Computers] (fwd)

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 20 22:31:11 UTC 2013

James Knott wrote:
> It's been too many years since I looked at this sort of thing in any
> detail to remember.

One thing that comes to mind was memory expansion.  By putting ROM
there, IBM blocked Intel's plans for going beyond 1 MB with the
8088/8086.  If you'd asked me back in the '80s, I could have told you
what the reason was.  Back then, I was a computer tech working on
mini-computers and very interested in CPU and system architecture, even
reading about CPUs and systems that I didn't work with.