Barely functioning HD, and seeking advice re: how to successfully record in blu-ray

Tim Sattarov stimur-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 19 15:31:08 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Paul King <sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org> wrote:

[...]
> The ddrescue program produced a 3GB file which is not mountable, and yes I used
> “-o loop”. 3GB out of half of a terabyte is not much, but it is easily enough for email.
> The file has been kept, but at present it is pretty much taking up space.

a couple of silly questions:-
- did you try dd with noerror option ?
- are you doing  whole disk image or partition image ?
- if yes (the whole disk) did you use offset option for loop mount ?

kpartx utility can help you in detecting partitions and offsets
(regardless its name it is not KDE or even X application)

It could sound strange, but since some hard drive chipset becomes very
hot during intensive read, you'll need intensive cooling.
I saw (and did it myself) recommendations to freeze hard drive (e.g.
in a fridge)  before rescuing data.

http://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux

Tim