bargain? 13.3" ultrabook with 1920x1080 for $600 (today only)

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 19 13:24:58 UTC 2013

On 19/08/13 01:19 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> <http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX42060>
>
> ($1100 at Best Buy)
>
> ZENBOOK Prime UX31A-DH51-CA w/ Core i5-3317U, 4GB, 128GB SSD, 13.3in FHD,
> Win 8 64-bit.
>
> What I like:
>
> - good resolution; lowest price I've seen for a notebook with this
>   resolution.  IPS technology is very nice.
>
> - OK size SSD.
>
> - low-power i5 is a nice choice.
>

> What could be better:
>
> - this is last year's chip.  Th Haswell series (this years) uses less
>   power
>
> - no touchscreen.  The future!
>
> - 4G RAM is a bit low these days and in the future.  Probably not
>   expandable.
>

> I just assume that Linux will run this well.  I could be wrong.
>
> I'm tempted, but my 5-year-old ThinkPad x61t isn't that bad (12 inch
> 1400x1050 screen; upgraded to 4G of ram and 120G of SSD).

I have that same thinkpad, last of the 1400x1050 and upgraded to 8GB
with the SSD. Now it runs the microcontrollers at my brewery.

I am typing this on the first generation UX31 from (1600x900) and really
like it still. The battery life is amazing, everything works with Linux.
Too bad about the 4GB of RAM yeah, but I run anything demanding on my
desktop or on a server with RAM to spare.

I highly recommend the UXxx series if you want a portable and compatible
Linux ultrabook.

Jamon