Barely functioning HD, and seeking advice re: how to successfully record in blu-ray

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 19 03:23:39 UTC 2013

The 1TB Seagate I had been using and trying to recover data from is being
officially

declared "pooched".

The Linux partitions on it which I thought were viable were not upon closer

examination. Nearly all files and directories were missing below the root
level of any

partition I looked at.

I thought that it may be the external HD connection that was the problem. It
was

connected with a housing that was a SATA/EIDE hybrid, so I just used one
which was

pure SATA. No luck there either.

The ddrescue program produced a 3GB file which is not mountable, and yes I
used

"-o loop". 3GB out of half of a terabyte is not much, but it is easily
enough for email.

The file has been kept, but at present it is pretty much taking up space.

While I give out an enormous thanks for Hugh's advice and encouragement, I
think

that I need to move on. Most things can be recovered from existing DVDs and
CDs

I have around, except they too are slowly succumbing to bit-rot. My personal
email must

now be declared "forever lost".

Luckily I have an LG Blu-Ray USB external drive with a Windows-based burner
that

promises  to back things onto fresh media. Except that I have had a hard
time with this.

Of 6 BD disks that spent several minutes in the bay with the progress bar
doing nothing,

only to return a "burn failed" error, one may have been successful. This is
far worse

a success record than when DVD burning first came out. Since these are my
first

experiences with recording on to BD media, I don't know if this is expected
or not.

Is anyone able to suggest the conditions which will optimize the chances for

successful burn? This is for files on an entertainment center which is
single-boot, unless

you know of "live" distros which have k3b or something similar. Meatime, I
just thought

of going back to my Partition Magic (Slackware) DVD to see if anything
useful is there.

Paul King