C integral types [was Re: Semi-OT: Why Kids Can't use Computers] (fwd)

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 17 18:59:16 UTC 2013

On 13-08-16 04:58 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> ... The fact this rarely happened made me pretty impressed at the
> quality of code people were producing for the Amiga.

Most of the stability was if you stuck with the AmigaDos routines, which
were already quite refined from 10-15 years of deployment as
Cambridge/Metacomco Tripos. Once you started hitting Commodore's code,
things could go sideways fast.

I do remember people griping that AmigaDos interfacing needed a lot of
casting to BCPL types. All that went away with 2.0, where they expunged
the whole BCPL framework. Gone too was the Global Vector, a kind of
unprotected (!) shared memory that all BCPL systems had, where you could
pass data between processes, as long as you agreed on the addressing and
data structure. I don't think this got much use on the Amiga.

 Stewart