Semi-OT: Why Kids Can't use Computers

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 15 16:34:43 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Ran across this story about why kids can't use computers, and the
> story has some suggestions as to how to fix that (part of the
> suggestion being the use of Linux):
>
> http://www.coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/

Thanks for posting this Colin.  It's been stuck in my head ever since.  :)

While reading through I found myself checking off item after item.
Having done support (through 3 tiers) and being the family (and local)
tech, I've run into many similar examples.

I think what spoke to me the most though was the bit about policy makers...

"I have one question for these policy makers:

Without reference to Wikipedia, can you tell me what the difference is
between The Internet, The World Wide Web, a web-browser and a search
engine?

If you can’t, then you have no right to be making decisions that
affect my use of these technologies."

I absolutely, 100% and without reservation agree with this.  That
policy makers are as technologically illiterate as the masses is not
surprising... but it's still frightening.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more

  Atomic OS: Self Contained Microsystems