Semi-OT: Why Kids Can't use Computers

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 15 16:10:12 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 06:32:53PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> Off topic... what really happened to Pascal/Modula-X ?
> From my memory, it had pretty fast compile time, and they could've added
> more data structures into the language if needed.

Visual Studio took over, and did not include pascal.  VisualBasic and
VisualC++ took over, where TurboC and TurboPascal used to rule.  I believe
Delphi is somewhat pascal related, but I am not sure (never looked at it).
A quick check says Delphi is Object Pascal, so yes that is related and
somewhat popular.

Modula-3 was the last, and was as far as I recall mainly worked on by
DEC, who of course went out of business, and Compaq seemed to have no
interest in continuing the work.  Checking wikipedia seems to agree with
what I recalled.  It never had commercial interest, unlike Pascal which
had some for a while.

It pretty much seems that if Microsoft doesn't supposed it in Visual
Studio these days, then the language is mostly doomed.

But at the same time that doesn't seem to stop Perl, Python, PHP, etc.

--
Len Sorensen