Semi-OT: Why Kids Can't use Computers

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 15 03:23:54 UTC 2013

in the same article: " ... [in the US] computer science homework is banned
by the school board."

Banned! Holy Toledo. I imagine a teacher facing having to be disciplined by
the admin for the crime of assigning CS homework.

In Peel [where I work] no one is banning CS homework, but it is discouraged
in the profession for reasons of equity, since it is an equity issue to
families who still don't have computers or Internet (and yes they really
exist). Many schools in the GTA disregard this "ethic", I am hearing,
including some schools in Peel. The schools in question may be in middle to
upper class districts where it is not really an issue.

Paul King