Semi-OT: Why Kids Can't use Computers

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 15 02:17:15 UTC 2013

Well, lessee... Pascal was bested by Turbo Pascal, which in turn was bested
by Delphi (both Borland products), which is an expensive competitor against
VB.NET. Delphi has changed hands many times and is currently produced by
Embracadero.

Embracadero is promising to release a linux version, rumor has it. Hope they
don't cheap out and use WINE as Borland tried to do with Kylix. If no one on
this list but me has heard of Kylix, I rest my case :-) Delphi now has
increased competition from MS, in that MS has released free licenses of
Visual Studio under the banner of "Visual Studio 2012 .NET Express". So,
anyone with a pirated copy of VB can uninstall it now :-) I don't think a
school license of VB.NET express is possible.

To those of us who want a compile-able Pascal with a GUI and can't afford
Embracadero's price tag, the rest of us have the open-source Lazarus to
program in. My impression is that the exe's are not as efficient (too big)
as one would like. But you had a basic GUI with some internet socketing,
OOP, and actual GNU-Pascal if you still want the command line.

Lazarus is write once, compile anywhere, and has Windows and Linux versions.
It is GPL, afaik, or at the very least open-source.

Paul King