Semi-OT: Why Kids Can't use Computers

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 14 04:37:29 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 03:23:53PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 02:14:07PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> > Those that can, do.  Those that can't, teach.  ;-)
> >
> > Actually, he was OK as a math teacher.
>
> Very likely.  We seem to have had more time to develop teachers for math
> than computers. :)

  The other problem is that computing is a rapidly-changing field.  You
can take a 20-year-old math textbook, and it would still be almost
totally valid today.  There have been a few esoteric advanced
conjectures/theorems rigorously proven since then, but that's about it.
Do you really want to use 20-year-old tech and 20-year-old texts to
teach computer programming today?

  Showing my age here.. as a kid growing up in the 1960's, I remember
the days of keypunch operators taking a few night courses in FORTRAN,
and getting good-paying jobs as programmers.  Those days are long past.