Partially dead drive

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 6 00:17:41 UTC 2013

| From: Paul King <sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org>

| I resized using the native tools that came with the Mint install, and later
| Ubuntu Studio install (which does not use Unity).

Good.  That ought to be safe.

| The triple boot trick
| worked up until the next kernel update of Ubuntu Studio, when a manual
| rewrite of the grub menu became necessary (Mint was not detected). I never
| got around to it, being too busy with work.

It might be this bug <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1038093>
The fix is known but an update to Ubuntu 12.04 has not been released.
This is an example of what makes me unhappy with Ubuntu (see others
complaining in that report).  The bug status became "Fix Released" last
Christmas Eve Eve.

The workaround for me is:
- mount the Fedora / partition
- sudo update-grub

| Both linuxes used the same
| /home,
| /tmp, swap and /boot partitions. For a while I  thought it was a pretty neat
|
| experiment, both are Debian-based, and both seemed to get along. This was
| done
| about 4 months ago, and Ubuntu menu issue over a month ago,

I don't know what shared /boot does as far as os-prober is concerned.
Since your bug showed up some time after 4 months ago, it might not be
1038093.

| and the NTFS
| failure was in the past 2 weeks.

Probably unrelated.

But it means you cannot try Mint to see if it likes the NTFS volume
better.  (I don't expect a surprising result.)

| | Have you tried any of the advice?  To re-iterate:
|
| I fully intend to try it out.

Good luck!

I was just concerned that you read my whole message as "you should
have backed up your files".