Partially dead drive

sciguy sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 4 14:26:05 UTC 2013

I have a 1TB Seagate drive which, I admit, was partitioned when the NT
drive was less than half full, and I didn't defrag the data to the start
of the drive. It lasted a couple of months that way, then it all but
bricked my computer. While the NT (W7) system partition was on a
separate drive, GRUB was the MBR of the bad drive. The partitioning on
the bad drive was done to install Linux. The NT partition on the bad
drive was used for various data (no programs or system files) which I
wanted to at least make a valiant attempt at trying to recover.

All of the linux partitions seemed to have survived somehow, but when
mounting the NTFS partition, I get an I/O error, even when booting with
parted magic (live mode).

I can use fdisk only if I invoke it when the bad drive is external and
just turned on (in other words, no attempts to mount /dev/sdl1, the NTFS
device in question, before that). When fdisk is used, I see what seems
to be a complete partition table, along with secondary partitions, and
the NTFS being on the first partition. I was reluctant to change
anything until I did something less potentially destructive first.

So, I tried the mount command in a shell. "mount /dev/sda1 sda1" caused
Parted Magic to recognize it as an NT partition, but then report an I/O
error, and recommended "chkdsk/f" in Windows.

I booted into XP with the bad disk as an external drive, it mounted as
drive letter P:, filesystem "RAW". Attempting chkdsk /f in a DOS shell
resulted in my being told that chkdsk doesn't work for RAW filesystems.

The data in the NTFS partition is worth some trouble in trying to at
least partially recover data. Is there anything anyone might suggest
that I haven't tried?

Paul King