Raspberry PI Power

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 2 17:15:05 UTC 2013

On 13-08-02 11:09 AM, Colin McGregor wrote:
> Initial set-up with several different "1 amp" output transformers had
> the same result, the Raspberry PI ran, but the WiFi connection was
> unusable. Powering the Raspberry PI off a 4 port USB hub that has a
> 2.6 amp power supply and moving the WiFi dongle to the hub has
> resulted in a very solid set-up.

The first thing to do is check the voltages on the Pi board. I'm also using
a Pi with an OurLink WiFi adapter. I am using a 1 amp power supply. The
voltage before and after inserting the WiFi adapter didn't change much. It
was a bit low but still above (but near) the low end of the 5V range for the Pi.

When I tried to connect, the router saw the DHCP request from the Pi but the
Pi never got its IP address. The router I was using at the time was a D-Link
DI-524 (an oldie but reliable for me for about 8 years).

The D-Link router recently started acting up so I replaced it with a Netgear
router and the Pi, OurLink adapter, and same power supply was now working.
The Pi was able to obtain an IP address over WiFi.

I don't know why the change in router made a difference but it did in my case.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.