About the Android Emulator

Myles Braithwaite me-qIX3qoPyADtH8hdXm2+x1laTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 30 23:41:52 UTC 2013

First you can't really install anything from the Google Play store on
the stock Google Android Emulator. But lets say you have access to the
APK[1] file of the application you want to run. You can load it on the
stock Android Emulator[2].

Now the Android Emulator was really designed to be run by developers
so pretty much every logging/debugging application is running which
will most likely slow down your application (especially if it's a 3D
game). I tried to play Temple Run 2 and it horrible.

BlueStack[3] is a (proprietary) project that is trying to bring
Android apps to the desktop natively but it currently in beta and only
available on Windows, Mac, and Windows 8.  I tried to play Angry Birds
and it wasn't horrible but not great (comparing it to playing the
native version on my Mac).

[1]: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APK_(file_format)>
[2]: <http://stackoverflow.com/a/3480235>
[3]: <http://www.bluestacks.com/>