deal on netbook for Linux [was Re:Ability to buy bare machines. (Was: PC with a GPL'd OS pre-installed)]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 30 22:14:26 UTC 2013

| From: Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>
| Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:10:00 -0400
| Subject: [TLUG]: Ability to buy bare machines. (Was: PC with a GPL'd OS
|     pre-installed)

| On the above point, when selling hardware that bundles an OS, that alright if
| that's your business model and it's free. But if the OS is not free, I want
| the option not to take it.

The Chromebooks might haev a free OS.  I don't know which meaning of
free you meant.

Most Chromebooks are chained to Chromeos by tiny details like BIOSes.

Possibly the worst Chromebook available in Canada (there are only two)
is the Acer C7.  It's on sale until Thursday for $230 if you pay cash
($229.99 if you use charge cards or the like).
<http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-c7-11-6-chromebook-grey-dual-core-intel-celeron-processor-320gb-hdd-2gb-ram-chrome-os-c710-2490/10242999.aspx?path=78c3ea843d1740e72579b4643346b85cen02&SearchPageIndex=1>

It's actually a pretty nice netbook: decent "Celeron" processor (much
better than an Atom) and 320G HDD.  Neither of those seem like great
choices for ChromeOS but do seem good for conventional Linux notebook
loads.

Physically, the C7 is quite nice and slim (for a notebook).  I played
a bit with one in a Future Shop.

There are lots of things on the net about how to load Ubuntu on it.
Arch might also be a good choice.  Every time you boot a Linuxed
version, you get told that the system is corrupted and you have to
wait 30 seconds or hit CTRL-D.  A minor annoyance.

No USB 3.
Does have HDMI out.
1366x768 is better than most netbooks
2G of RAM is better than most netbooks.  Not sure what the upgrade
limit is.

The battery life is about 4 hours, not great for a Chromebook.
Apparently you can find a larger battery for it (US$50, in the US).

The Canadian one has the bilingual keyboard that confuses my fingers.

I decided that it isn't enough of a step up from my Acer Aspire One
ao522 netbook to bother.  But I'm tempted.  (That netbook cost the
same $230 two years ago.)