Ubuntu-13.04 -- disabling ALL compiz desktop effects?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 28 23:15:21 UTC 2013

In the past I've run Ubuntu-Tweak, which has just been updated for
Ubuntu 13.04:
http://blog.ubuntu-tweak.com/2013/04/25/ubuntu-tweak-0-8-4-released.html
Looks like it's been improved a lot since I last used it, since Ubuntu 11.04

It had tweaks to add/remove the title bar buttons (Minimize, Maximize,
Close) and move them to the left or right side of the window.  I thought
there might have been settings to remove desktop animation effects, but
I don't see them there now.  This might be because I'm actually running
the Mate desktop environment (which is not without its own problems, but
better than Unity).

I installed from the .deb file, which had some unsatisfied dependencies.
 I ran 'sudo apt-get -f install' to fix them, but the first time I ran
Ubuntu-Tweak it just hung on the splash screen, so I killed the tasks.
It's been running fine since then, tho.

Ubuntu-Tweak has a fairly thorough "Janitor" function to remove cache
files and unused Apt and kernel files.  This might speed up a slow
system. But Ubuntu-Tweak seems to detect far more than 'apt-get
autoremove' and 'apt-get autoclean' do, so I'm a little leery of
damaging my system...

--Bob.

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>         http://sobac.com/sobac/
SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Phone: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada  N3B 1L5  Cell: +1-519-635-9413