Free software and the Mac

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 26 14:09:15 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 8:03 AM, Stewart C. Russell <scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On 13-04-26 07:19 AM, Thomas Milne wrote:
> >
> > Do you mean when I try and use a downloaded file from my Mac on a Linux
> > box? I hadn't thought of that.
>
> No, not that. Quarantine is the thing that causes the "XXX is an ....
> downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to run it?" dialogue
> on any file you download. It has no effect on Linux. It can have a weird
> and unsuspected effect on some FAT filesystems, but unless you're
> running CHDK on a Canon camera, you might not see that.
>
> What it can do, though, to files from archives you've downloaded and
> extracted is cause the shell problems with executable files. If the file
> won't run, but the permissions look like -rwxr-xr-x@, you've got some
> additional file attributes you might have to clear.
>
> It's one of those “I wish it didn't do that” features.

Ah, okay. Now that reminds me of something else that I just thought of:
uninstalling apps.

I read this and immediately think 'really?':

http://guides.macrumors.com/Uninstalling_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X

It's odd that Apple seems to have put zero thought into a process for
uninstalling apps in OSX.

--
Thomas Milne