Free software and the Mac

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 26 11:19:40 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Stewart Russell <scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Wine runs on a Mac for free, and for a while I ran a small consultancy
> from a Mac running Virtual box and XP.

I know, but I was concerned about my 9 yr old being able to launch Steam
from Wine. ie., open a terminal, cd to the Steam dir, etc. Crossover also
simplifies the install of a lot of necessary components, no?

>  Seconding getting a drive or some sort of network resource to do Time
> Machine. It's really great when it just works. It's a bear when it doesn't,
> though; it's a tangle of folders and hard links and OS X file attributes. I
> wish there were something that simple for Linux; snapshot is good but
> fiddly.

Yeah, that's one thing that worries me about Mac. With Linux, everything is
so simple and logical. Someday I am going to have to deal with the whole
'Apple Way' thing in some horrible way. You know what the number one beef
with Mac is? The bloody delete key. It does NOT delete, it backspaces! Burn
in hell Steve Jobs! No, I'm just kidding, but still.

>  (Talking of, file attributes are a big thing on OS X, but not so much on
> desktop Linux. You will get bitten by the Quarantine attribute - anything
> you download has it set, and even chmod +x won't get around it - and a
> couple of minutes reading about xattr(1) will be useful.)
>
> Do you mean when I try and use a downloaded file from my Mac on a Linux
box? I hadn't thought of that.

--
Thomas Milne