Cutting the Cord

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 24 23:07:04 UTC 2013

Update:

Placed the order with TekSavvy today: 50/10 FTTN with a 300GB limit.
Price is good.
They no longer rent the modem, you have to buy it ($130). As it's fairly
specialized and, as has been noted, probably has some Bell-specific hacks,
there' s no shopping around for it.
I'm pleasantly surprised at how much legitimately free TV content is
allowed through Plex channel plugins. Wondering if the proxy will be worth
it, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Visited the Save & Replay brick-and-mortar store to talk antennas. Gonna
see how much I can get without having to put a big ugly thing outside.
After replacing the tabletop with a Terk, I now get all the Toronto
stations plus one Buffalo one (WNLO 23) that isn't even available on cable.
Will experiment more before plunking down cash on that.

Now it's time to go server shopping, something that can do all the fetching
and encoding and DVRing (mainly Plex server, MythTV and assorted Usenet
services.). It may cost, but I'll be paying almost $200/month less in fees
so what I spend will be recouped soon enough.

On 22 April 2013 17:09, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 05:00:16PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> > Twice.  ;-)
> >
> > BTW, way out in Whitby, near where my outlaws used to live there was
> > an intersection at Michael and Michael.
>
> The best one I know, is Weber and King in Waterloo/Kithener.  Weber starts
> and ends and king street, and cross it in the middle.  So there are 3
> intersections of those two streets in about 14km.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

Evan Leibovitch
Toronto Canada