Free software and the Mac

Dave Cramer davecramer-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 24 13:01:48 UTC 2013

Dave Cramer

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 8:19 AM, Thomas Milne
<thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Dave Cramer <davecramer-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> I use a mac for my desktop as well. You seem to have found your way
>> around. There are some rather not nice things.
>>
>> 1) Just this morning my computer failed to start after shutdown. You have
>> to unplug it and wait a while, or remove the memory. Make sure you have a
>> backup machine to search for the solution to these problems
>> 2) If you replace the hard drive, which I just did you have to 1) pay
>> apple to do it, or 2) buy a special cable and a regular HD and very
>> carefully do it yourself, 3) buy software to control the fan speed and very
>> carefully do it yourself.
>>

> I will probably never want to do that, I don't even think I could. The
> newest iMacs are like permanently sealed or something. Not worried, we have
> Apple Care :-)

Well apple care still means you have to go there and get them to do it. I
doubt they are permanently sealed. Changing the HD isn't that tough, the
outside glass is held on with magnets, I used my GPS window suction cup to
remove it

>> Oh, almost forgot do yourself a huge favour and find a way to run time
>> machine, when the hard drive in question failed I was able to completely
>> restore my machine; albeit in 20 hours. This feature alone is worth a huge
>> amount of time
>>

> Someone showed me Time Machine, it looks pretty cool. Will definitely be
> setting that up. I've got a 1TB external with eSATA connection. Apparently
> I have to invest in a Thunderbolt to eSATA adapter which is NOT CHEAP. Oh
> well, it will be very handy I am sure. Another cool thing is I have a 27"
> display that I also want to connect and have dual displays :-)

You got a second thunderbolt display, cool, Im jealeaous