CVS to Git migration

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 22 23:28:00 UTC 2013

Evening guys,

I am wondering if anyone here has migrated CVS repositories to git. I did a
bit of research and the best method seems to be to run cvs2git against the
current repository. That generate a file, which git can play and set up a
git repositories.

Now, when I run cvs2git, it fails with the error below. I have not figured
whats causing it even after a serious googling.  Anyone can see what I may
be missing?

cvs2git --options=/home/williamm/cvs2git.options
----- pass 1 (CollectRevsPass) -----
Examining all CVS ',v' files...
/usr/local/cvs-repository/.classpath,v
/usr/local/cvs-repository/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.root/.indexes/properties.version,v
/usr/local/cvs-repository/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.safetable/org.eclipse.core.resources,v
Exception occurred while parsing
/usr/local/cvs-repository/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.safetable/org.eclipse.core.resources,v
ERROR: The command 'cvs -q -f -d /usr/local/cvs-repository co -r1.1 -p
.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.safetable/org.eclipse.core.resources'
failed with exit status=0
and the following output:
cvs checkout: internal error: unsupported substitution string -ku

What would "unsupported substitution" be implying?  I guess my problem is
not decoding the error message.

Any pointer would be highly appreciated.

William