Cutting the Cord

John Myshrall jmyshrall-v+ARZjKqHIj3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 22 12:56:31 UTC 2013

On 13-04-21 10:47 AM, James Knott wrote:
> Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>> I found an indoor antenna (a Philips PHDTV3) in my basement, attached
>> it to my flatscreen, and picked up:
>>
>>   * CTV, CBC, CBC-F, TVO and Global: crystal clear and in HD (Global
>>     also has a LD channel :-P )
>>   * City, Omni and CTS: usually OK but sometimes cut out
>>   * Nothing else
>>

> A friend of mine lives near Kingston Rd. & Woodbine.  She tried one of
> those compact amplified antennas on the 2nd floor of her house.  She
> also had poor results with it.  I then loaned her a set top UHF
> antenna I bought many years ago, and she now gets many more stations,
> including Buffalo than she got with that amplified antenna.
>
> BTW, I bought that antenna to receive Ch 23 Buffalo, which was then
> the 2nd PBS station and not carried on cable.  I lived in a 14th floor
> apartment in the Port Credit area of Mississauga back then.  I could
> place that antenna in my living room window and get a better quality
> picture than anything on cable.  That antenna is a simple double bow
> tie with reflector.  So, if you want to get better reception, you'd
> likely need a decent antenna, as high as you can get it.  You may also
> want to consider 2 antennas, a UHF for most of the channels, facing
> towards Buffalo and a VHF hi facing Hamilton, to get Ch 11.
>
> --

I live at Winston Churchill and Derry. I have this antennae in my attic
and get all the channels available.
http://overtheair.saveandreplay.com/OTA_Channels_Toronto_GTA.asp
I still have Rogers but have a reduced rate. The OTA is used for special
events and I use it through a Digital ATSC HD/SD TV tuner. I plug it
directly into my projector for 100' of HD. Go big or go home.  I also
use the projector for movie nights.  We use Rgers for regular TV viewing
although I'm not overly happy with them either.

A great place for OTA is http://www.saveandreplay.com/ I also have used
Canada computers and currently have this antennae
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=164_165&item_id=021143.

I'm using Voice Network for home phone (POTs line) and DSL.
http://www.voicenetwork.ca/residential/index.php  They used to be Yak.

Bell keeps trying to get my business back however it will likely never
happen. I wish the other ISP's would start carrying TV. Hopefully this
will happen in the near future.

Good luck.

John