Cutting the Cord

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 21 17:28:17 UTC 2013

On 21 April 2013 10:59, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> > Is anyone here using (or looking into) vMedia? It looks too good to be
> true. I am especially intrigued by what their "VBOX" is beyond just a
> Google TV box.
> >
> > Recommendations on a good router are welcome. Preferably something
> that could run OpenWRT and has gigabit on all wired ports.
>
> I will assume part of the role the router will have is to send streaming
> video to other routers around the house to support set-top boxes, etc.,
> that you don't want to (or can't) run Ethernet cable to.

Fortunately, I am the original owner of the house I live in, and we paid a
little extra at construction time to have CAT5 run everywhere but the
bathrooms. So all the set top boxes (and printers, NAS, servers, etc) can
be connected by Ethernet and only the mobile devices need Wifi. It's the
reason I'm considering the HDHomeRun for my OTA tuner; I can locate it
upstairs -- close to the antenna -- while still being on the LAN.

I'd suggest the Linksys E2500 router. Fairly inexpensive, readily available
> (I bought mine at FutureShop), can run on the 2.4GHz AND 5GHz bands (unlike
> the somewhat less expensive E1550), can run on 2.4GHz and 5GHz
> simultaneously, can run the DD-WRT software (and by extension I assume
> OpenWRT). The wired ports are however "only" 100MB, not gigabit (mind you I
> don't see this as a significant issue at present).

I guess for the router that may not be a big deal since the external
gateway (ie, the cablemodem) isn't exceeding 100MB anyway.

> To note the obvious, streaming video is a bandwidth monster, a
> problem when seemingly every smart phone, laptop, etc. is using 2.4GHz.
> A current check found 24 wireless 2,4GHz hotspots in/near my apartment and
> zero 5GHz hotspots. For video streaming you want to be on 5GHz, with fewer
> people using it, and more channels to choose from, your chances of getting
> enough bandwidth are FAR FAR better. On the other hand you do still want
> support for 2.4GHz to handle your smart phone(s) and other devices that
> don't have the hardware to support 5GHz operation.

Hmm. Since my non-mobile devices will all be wired this may not be an
issue. Of more concern is that the firewall needs to be at the demarcation
point but the hotsport may need to be elsewhere.

> > Does the router need to be placed between my switch and the modem, or
> can it be just another device hanging off it?
>
> From a technical standpoint, shouldn't matter, BUT... If you have
> the router before the switch you can use the router's QoS (Quality
> of Service), Bandwidth and Access control tools for everyone/everything on
> your network.

The main function of the router will be NAT, DHCP and basic firewall. Guess
it will need to be between the switch and cablemodem anyway, which means I
may need an access point or booster elsewhere in the house. The cable
demarcation point (and the junction for the house's CAT5 drops) is in an
awful location for the hotspot.

> Are there any tips based on previous experience on how to handle the
> > transition from Rogers to Teksavvy or vMedia? How hard will Rogers try to
> > talk me out of it (ie, like the retentions program they have for phone
> > customers that can negotiate better deals?) Otherwise, how hard will
> Rogers
> > make it to leave them?
>
> I told them I was leaving, PERIOD. They did send me a letter asking me to
> call in and explain why I was leaving, for a $25 gift card (which I did,
> short answer I gave them was ROTTEN customer service (which was the main
> reason, but there were also costs)). Any event I ended up with a Shoppers
> Drugmart $25 gift card that I used to help get a Sony Blu-ray player. The
> Blu-ray player besides being able to play HD movies off disk, does have an
> Ethernet port on it, so it can grab a range of free and pay content off the
> net.

Shoppers Drug Mart sells Bluray players?

Some Samsung blu-ray players can run a Plex clients, which might make them
usable set top boxes.

Thanks for all the comments. These were extremely helpful.

- Evan