xonar hdav1.3 with no sound

Neil Watson tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 20 21:29:40 UTC 2013

Greetings,

I've installed an Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 sound card.  I'm using basic
analog output. I get no sound. aplay <wavefile> is silent. Alsamixer
checks out and nothing is muted.  Any ideas?

ettin:/etc/modprobe.d# aplay -l
card 0: HDAV13 [Xonar HDAV1.3], device 0: Multichannel [Multichannel]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDAV13 [Xonar HDAV1.3], device 1: Digital [Digital]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

lspci -v shows
03:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio]
         Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Virtuoso 200 (Xonar HDAV1.3)
         I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
         Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
         Kernel driver in use: snd_virtuoso

--
Neil Watson
Linux/UNIX Consultant