canadian vps hosting experiences

Ian Garmaise ian.g-m+eCFz0Wf2kS+FvcfC7Uqw at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 20 12:19:28 UTC 2013

I've been using Dreamhost for a client for five years with few problems
(php app with light
usage, shared hosting).  You can get a static ip for an annual fee.
I had one for a while.  Because they are such a major player, they have
unfortunately come under extended DDOS attacks
recently which has caused some problems.  There's no free phone support in
Canada, but their email response
is pretty good, and their knowledge base is comprehensive and useful.

Only other problem I have had is with the mailto system (they have had
delivery delays of up to a couple of days where mail
gets spooled up after an incident).  I've heard that switching to smtp
(either with Dreamhost or something like Sendgrid)
will resolve that problem and am doing that now.

I have a friend who has dozens of clients running off a single Dreamhost
account with no major issues.

Ian

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 1:45 AM, Marc Lijour <marclijour-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Did anybody try Dreamhost? I've worked on some of their servers for a
> school project and I was surprised to see 300MB and Terabytes of disk under
> my finger for some $15 a month. One of the servers had an old broken Debian
> install, and the support team refreshed it within a day. Performance was
> stunning.
>
> On the minus side, their website does not seem to do any justice to what
> I've experienced. No static IP available but a "unique IP" that is not
> guaranteed to stay the same...
>
> Advice/comments?
>

> 2012/6/28 E K <ekg_ab-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>
>
>> I had used hostway some years back in my previous employment. My server
>> used to be in Vancouver and my experience with them was really good.
>>
>> HTH
>> Equbay

=====
Ian Garmaise