Cutting the Cord

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 20 05:37:12 UTC 2013

Hi folks.

Well, my kids have been badgering me to stop paying stooopid prices to
Rogers and I'm ready to leap, switching my Internet and dumping my cable TV
completely in favour of Internet/Netflix/Usenet/etc.

Any assistance would be appreciated to help me with these:

   - This will be cable rather than DSL. Any comments, good or bad, about
   Teksavvy's cable service? Most of the comments I've read seem to be able
   the DSL stuff.

   - Is anyone here using (or looking into) vMedia? It looks too good to be
   true. I am especially intrigued by what their "VBOX" is beyond just a
   Google TV box.

   - Recommendations on a good router are welcome. Preferably something
   that could run OpenWRT and has gigabit on all wired ports.

   - Does the router need to be placed between my switch and the modem, or
   can it be just another device hanging off it?

   - Are there any tips based on previous experience on how to handle the
   transition from Rogers to Teksavvy or vMedia? How hard will Rogers try to
   talk me out of it (ie, like the retentions program they have for phone
   customers that can negotiate better deals?) Otherwise, how hard will Rogers
   make it to leave them?

   - Is anyone having any like with OTA, ie a good old antenna? I have a
   south facing wall on a three storey house in northwest Toronto, should I
   even try this?

All replies are appreciated.

--
Evan Leibovitch