Honeypots...

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 16 21:38:02 UTC 2013

I got another one of those "Windows Technical Support" calls today
(seems to happen about once every fortnight), telling me that my
Windows PC had been sending them errors. I played along for as long as
I had the stomach for it, wasting their time before telling the man at
the other end that I was running Linux...

At some point I would like to go the all the way with these @#$%. Any
thoughts on setting up a virtual Windows PC honeypot under Linux in
such a way that I can:

- Easily track and capture exactly what these people are doing
(ideally in real time). I want both screen video and the files they
are manipulating.
- Record the phone conversation in sync with what is happening on
screen (I have an old device that will let me record phone calls on an
analog tape recorder but I want the recording to be in sync with the
screen video).

I've used Oracle's Virtual Box in the past and that would be my first
pick for virtualization software, but is there a better pick for a
project like this?

Further I have my OLD original copy of Windows 98, question is would
this be adequate, or is there another versions of Windows that I
should be after when dealing with these @#$%?

In case anyone is wondering why I am considering this effort, well
there are multiple reasons. I have an intellectual curiosity as to
EXACTLY what these people are up to. If these people are trying to
scam me they can't be scamming the stupid (thus in turn hurting their
profits, and if they start loosing money they will stop :-) ).

Thanks.

Colin