wanted: monitor calibration tool / colorimeter

Aaron Doucette instantkamera-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 16 19:54:13 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 04/16/2013 02:12 PM, William Park wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:25:52AM -0400, Richard Weait wrote:
>>
>>> Seeking a linux-compatible monitor calibration device.  Let me know if
>>> you
>>> have one I could borrow, or trade for interesting Linux-tech-stuff.
>>>

>> What is it, and why would anyone use it?
>>

> The kind of tool being talked about is for comparing the output of a
> monitor for colours versus what it should be outputting for a given colour.
> This also for correction to be done in software. This is of value to anyone
> working in photography or design so that the can design color correct
> photos as close to "real" colour as possible.

Not to be pedantic, but it really has nothing to do with the "reality" of
colours.  Every device that deals in colour has different characteristics.
For instance, EVERY SINGLE printer(ink) and paper combination is different
than the last. Given the exact same colour data, no two combinations will
look exactly alike.

Here's where calibration and profiling comes in. This allows us to
compensate for the unique characteristics of every input and output, since
they are all in a "known state". This ensures that the colours you see in
one output remain the same when they are translated for another
device/output that is also part of the colour management workflow. Anything
outside that chain (such as another person's display, or an unknown printer
and paper combination) cannot be trusted.

Anyone interested in getting a better idea of the science should track down
a copy of Real World Color Management, it's a good (somewhat dry) read, at
least the non-software-specific bits.

Also, Pascal DeBruijn (http://www.pcode.nl/) from the Darktable team has
written several interesting blog posts about linux and colour
management/photo workflows.

-aaron