Microsoft files EU Android complaint

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 15 15:57:38 UTC 2013

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 10:12:41AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
>> >Though I'm no expert, my impression is the Linux world is moving to
>> >StrongSWAN for IPSec.  There were a couple of previous attempts, one
>> >being FreeS/WAN.  I have also used OpenVPN for years and one other
>> >(name escapes me) prior to that.
> No I don't think so.  Redhat even employs one of the libreswan developers.
>
> Strongswan has very few developers, and they don't actually seem to take
> security that seriously unfortunately.
>
> OpenSwan has had issues because of legal issues with the developers and
> the company that thinks it owns openswan.  Hence libreswan, which is
> now back to being quite active in development.
>
> Freeswan forked into strongswan and openswan (both are based on freeswan).
> openswan has no forked into libreswan as well (taking all the developers
> with it by the looks of it).

Lots of fun.  StrongSWAN is the IPSec package that's currently available
with OpenSUSE.  One might make the case there too many projects
happening.  It'd be nice if those people would work together and get one
good package going.

As I mentioned, I have used OpenVPN for years and it worked well, but
until very recently, it didn't properly support IPv6 and also there's no
Android version available that I'm aware of.