Microsoft files EU Android complaint

Bob Jonkman bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 14 06:55:59 UTC 2013

Hugh complained:
> Many are coerced into having a GMail account. You cannot get Android
> apps without one, for example.

There are other, non-Google repositories for Android apps:

http://f-droid.org/ contains only F/LOSS apps.

http://m.aptoide.com/ is a federated series of repositories that seem to
have most everything available from Google and a whole lot more besides.

http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b/ref=topnav_storetab_mas?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011
is "Amazon Apps for Android" when accessed from my laptop (I think the
URL is different when I access it from my Android). I haven't used this one.

When I flashed new firmware on my Android phone I did not install the
optional "Google Pack" which included the App Store app. I have not
needed a Google account since then, because I get most everything from
F-Droid.

However, there are some apps (like the Giles Malet's GRT Transit App)
that depend on some library provided only by the Google Pack. Most of
those have an older version, or a re-compilation for F-Droid so they're
still usable (eg. Transdroid). I do miss the GRT app, tho...

--Bob.

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>         http://sobac.com/sobac/
SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Phone: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada  N3B 1L5  Cell: +1-519-635-9413