Microsoft files EU Android complaint

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 12 18:08:38 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 12:36:50PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> There used to be a lot of compiler vendors.  Ones that hoped to make a
> business of it.  Microsoft on one side and GCC on the other killed
> that business.
>
> Borland had some good products and went down.  Watcom had some, they
> too augered in.  Etc.

Windows becoming popular killed a lot of things.  A lot of the compiler
vendors (Watcom, Borland, etc) were too slow to see windows as an
important part of the market, and by the time they figured it out,
visualstudio had become entrenched,

> Sorry, I don't understand this.  Is this related to 1700 being
> T-Mobile-only or the reverse or something else.  My own ignorance.
>
> On the surface, T-Mobile's move looks to appeal to people being tired
> of the shell game of subsidies.  Maybe some sheep are getting a little
> wiser in the US.  Maybe its just a desperation move.

I would love to see sensible prices for the plans, and phones costing
what they cost.  Then you can upgrade your phone when you want to, and
you can keep a phone for alonger time if you are nice to it and don't
care to have the latest and greatest all the time.

> That too: SIP over data can mess up their model.  Messaging over data
> as well.

Sure, because they are charging too much for voice calls in the first
place.

> But what I meant is that the carriers put all sorts of restrictions on
> data.  I don't know them all, but some include caps on data that are
> low, expensive bytes over the cap, forcing proxy use, blocking ports,
> traffic shaping.
>
> I also don't really understand all the different data standards that
> add to the fragmentation of the market.  All GSM phones work with all
> GSM carriers as long as (1) the frequency bands match, and (2) the
> carrier doesn't intentionally prevent.  With data, I think that there
> are a whole bunch of technologies, with some level of backward
> compatability -- I don't really know the paths through that jungle.
>
> Note: I'm not a cell phone expert.  I may be all wrong.

It certainly does get complicated with so many bands and standards.

--
Len Sorensen