Microsoft files EU Android complaint

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 12 16:54:40 UTC 2013

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> But what I meant is that the carriers put all sorts of restrictions on
> data.  I don't know them all, but some include caps on data that are
> low, expensive bytes over the cap, forcing proxy use, blocking ports,
> traffic shaping.
You can get various data plans from the carriers.  The more you pay, the
more you can use, though prices in Canada are high, compared to
elsewhere (yeah, so what else is new).  I haven't experienced any
blocked ports and can tether my notebook or tablet to my phone for
access to the Internet.  What do you mean by proxy in this context? One
thing Rogers does is provide RFC1918 addresses to cell phone users.
This should change when they make IPv6 available.
> I also don't really understand all the different data standards that
> add to the fragmentation of the market.  All GSM phones work with all
> GSM carriers as long as (1) the frequency bands match, and (2) the
> carrier doesn't intentionally prevent.  With data, I think that there
> are a whole bunch of technologies, with some level of backward
> compatability -- I don't really know the paths through that jungle.

There are different standards as a result of evolution.  With 2G phones
(GSM etc.) their was only limited bandwidth available, as the data had
to be carried over standard GSM channels.  Then came 3G phones, which
use a couple of generations of HSPA.  Now with LTE, there are some, but
not all of the 4G features, including greater bandwidth and lower
latency.  As for compatibility, I have a Google Nexus One, which runs
HSPA & UTMS, but can fall back to GSM. The same phone will work on Bell
& Telus, but without fall back to their old CDMA network.  LTE phones
will fall back to HSPA etc.