Microsoft files EU Android complaint

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 12 16:36:50 UTC 2013

| From: Alejandro Imass <aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>

| On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
| > | From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| > BTW, I actually think your analogy applies to the compiler world too.
|
| Interesting point. Could you expand a little here?

There used to be a lot of compiler vendors.  Ones that hoped to make a
business of it.  Microsoft on one side and GCC on the other killed
that business.

Borland had some good products and went down.  Watcom had some, they
too augered in.  Etc.

| > It appears to me as if it is a sheep / shepherd relationship.  Most
| > carrier seem to "subsidize" preferred phones.  Consumers are stupid
| > enough to accept this rather expensive financing.
| >

| I find it curious that T-Mobile's incorporation of iPhone on the 1700
| band is coinciding with the elimination of subsidies on ALL their
| smart phones: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57557754-94/on-t-mobile-killing-the-subsidy-its-about-time/

Sorry, I don't understand this.  Is this related to 1700 being
T-Mobile-only or the reverse or something else.  My own ignorance.

On the surface, T-Mobile's move looks to appeal to people being tired
of the shell game of subsidies.  Maybe some sheep are getting a little
wiser in the US.  Maybe its just a desperation move.

| > I guess five years ago "Bring Your Own Device" was not always
| > possible.  GSM certainly helped (necessary?).
| >
| > I don't follow it closely, but "data" has had a bunch of gotchas.
|
| For the carriers you mean?

That too: SIP over data can mess up their model.  Messaging over data
as well.

But what I meant is that the carriers put all sorts of restrictions on
data.  I don't know them all, but some include caps on data that are
low, expensive bytes over the cap, forcing proxy use, blocking ports,
traffic shaping.

I also don't really understand all the different data standards that
add to the fragmentation of the market.  All GSM phones work with all
GSM carriers as long as (1) the frequency bands match, and (2) the
carrier doesn't intentionally prevent.  With data, I think that there
are a whole bunch of technologies, with some level of backward
compatability -- I don't really know the paths through that jungle.

Note: I'm not a cell phone expert.  I may be all wrong.