Microsoft files EU Android complaint

Alejandro Imass aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 12 10:17:40 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> ... writes much that I find interesting and agree with.  But this message
> is about quibbles.

> | > taking

[...]

> BTW, I actually think your analogy applies to the compiler world too.

Interesting point. Could you expand a little here?

[...]

> It appears to me as if it is a sheep / shepherd relationship.  Most
> carrier seem to "subsidize" preferred phones.  Consumers are stupid
> enough to accept this rather expensive financing.

I find it curious that T-Mobile's incorporation of iPhone on the 1700
band is coinciding with the elimination of subsidies on ALL their
smart phones: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57557754-94/on-t-mobile-killing-the-subsidy-its-about-time/

> I guess five years ago "Bring Your Own Device" was not always
> possible.  GSM certainly helped (necessary?).
>
> I don't follow it closely, but "data" has had a bunch of gotchas.

For the carriers you mean?

--
Alejandro Imass