motherboard ethernet port failing

Digimer lists-5ZoueyuiTZiw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 11 18:59:52 UTC 2013

I've had lots of Realtek NICs fail. I now avoid them like the plague.
For my last mainboard for home, I spent quite some time looking for a
board without a Realtek NIC on it.

You can get a nice Intel PCIe NIC for <$40. It's night-and-day better,
quality and performance wise.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033

I've bought dozens of them and have had only one fail, and that was
after it got tossed around outside a static bag for quite some time.

So yes, I would not at all be surprised if your NIC was dead.

Digimer
access to education?